United Way Association of South Carolina (UWASC) works to maximize the capacity and effectiveness of local United Ways and provide leadership on issues that impact the quality of life of South Carolina residents. Through a network of collective partnerships, UWASC is committed in its efforts to provide support and enhance capacity of local United Ways; coordinate and champion action on significant public policy issues; and improve effectiveness and coordination of health and human services in South Carolina.
UWASC is seeking an experienced leader to oversee and drive public policy initiatives, organizational strategy, community impact, and ensure strong performance of the organization while also managing day-to-day operations. The CEO will be essential to the success of the organization by building strong, collaborative relationships internally and externally as well as providing leadership and support to the Board of Directors. This Association is diverse and dynamic in its structure with additional oversight and responsibility for SC 2-1-1’s 24-hour Crisis Intervention and Information & Referral service as well as AmeriCorps. This position requires someone who has strong leadership, experience in public policy, community advocacy, and who can support and serve local United Ways across the state to build a collaborative network systemwide, and a long-term framework for our state to thrive.
Areas of Responsibility
- Sets the vision and goals for the Association in relation to community and local United Way member needs.
- Establishes and maintains highly effective relationships with United Way partners, members, social, governmental, faith-based, and business groups, and Boards.
- Maintains UWASC’s leadership role in politically agnostic public policy efforts, working with key stakeholders including legislators, corporate leaders, and lobbyists.
- Create and maintain an ongoing relationship with United Way Worldwide.
- Serve on appropriate statewide committees.
- Responsible for public and legal accountability of the organization through adherence to United Way Worldwide Membership Requirements, and Corporation for National & Community Service policies and regulations.
- Plans resource development; creates and implements sound fundraising practices to strengthen and broaden revenue sources.
- Owns fiscal and human resources budget, internal controls, and adheres to financial management policies.
- Responsible for metrics and data as it relates to overseeing the Association and member’s needs. Identifies, recruits, and directs paid and volunteer community workers; provides motivation and training to achieve optimum results.
- Supervises, and develops staff members on their performance, and career goals; sets annual performance goals for staff, and evaluates performance annually.
- Regularly assesses the state’s needs; keeps most pressing needs a focus and priority.
- Ensures grant processes achieve the greatest impact; makes Board recommendations and updates as needed.
- Responsible for developing and implementing new programs within the Association. Responsible for participating in speaking engagements to promote community information programs and to raise statewide awareness of United Way; acts as the spokesperson for United Way system statewide along with the Board Chair.
- Oversees development of all marketing collateral and seeks opportunities for publicity.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years Non-Profit Executive Leadership experience
- Experience with a membership organizations or federation organizations
- 3+ years Public Policy experience
- Prior United Way experience is desirable
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support
- Proven track record of building collaborative, trusting partnerships