Located in Peoria, Illinois, the company produces a scalable and sustainable universe of peerless high-performance materials created from natural resources. The company is driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to change the world for the better. Innovative ideas and the drive to commercialize new products is in the company DNA. Their workforce is comprised of a team of scientists, engineers, and business leaders that are inspired to transition the materials world from being plastic-addicted to plant-powered. They are looking for exceptional talent who can contribute to their exciting, fast paced, venture-based, and rapidly growing organization.
We are seeking an exceptional Mechanical Engineer who is a self-starter and a creative problem solver. The candidate should possess skills across the full product-engineering life cycle from computer-aided design to real-world implementation. This position requires the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing and fluid work environment, where processes are actively being developed. The candidate will work within our engineering team to contribute to the success of our plant-based leather material which is perfect for footwear, fashion, automotive, accessories, and more. The ideal candidate would have industry experience in web handling/processing and roll-to-roll manufacturing within rubber, paper, silicone, or other sheet-based goods. This candidate’s role will be focused on sourcing equipment, conducting factory and site assurance tests, generating and maintaining documentation, and creating custom designs using CAD software, and overseeing the execution of those designs with the help of the fabrication team.
You are an ideal candidate if:
- You want to help commercialize new technologies that are unproven but have a team dedicated to their success.
- You thrive in making order and efficiency out of a sometimes chaotic environment.
- You are self-motivated but can take directions and receive constructive feedback.
- You are great at communicating with other disciplines such as chemical engineers, polymer scientists, and business leaders.
- You are passionate about environmental stewardship.
- You leave no stone unturned in your pursuit of getting the details right.
- Discuss projects with key stakeholders to establish requirements, machine specifications, underlying budget, scope, and timeline requirements.
- Work with external machine builders on production machinery
- Research suppliers and source equipment and provide cost benefit analysis if needed.
- Model and design manufacturing lines for production.
- Schedule and run equipment trials as needed.
- Automate and improve existing manufacturing processes with custom precision designs and fabrication techniques.
- Create prototypes in-house using both CNC and manual machine tools. (router, lathe, mill, drill press, etc).
- Collaborate with EH&S, Operations, and Controls Engineering to ensure equipment meets safety standards (NFPA, OSHA, ASME).
- Work with EH&S and Operations on the planning of commissioning equipment.
- Write operation and maintenance manuals for in-house designs or customizations on existing equipment.
- Directly discuss problems with operators and production managers to identify and develop labor-saving or product improving automation solutions.
- Assist Operations in troubleshooting production problems related to machines and automation.
- Support maintenance as needed of company equipment.
- Encourage safe work practices and apply appropriate lock-out procedures.
- Be a team player across engineering, scientific researchers, and business leaders.
- An inquisitive spirit to seek out improvements to existing concepts.
- Knowledge of DFMA, CAD software (Fusion 360 and AutoCad is preferred), FEA, Stress Analysis, and CAM.
- Demonstrated knowledge in vast mechanical engineering research and design aptitude.
- Knowledge of Automation, Robotics and Lean Manufacturing is a plus.
- Knowledge of plumbing and heating systems (fluid mechanics) is a plus.
- Must have a collaborative work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Ability to work within a highly iterative team pace and environment.
- Experience in sourcing equipment for manufacturing.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply established codes related to design (NFPA, OSHA, ASME)
- Familiarity with basic hand and power tools.
- Ability to design on rapid, fast-to-failure, iterative development cycles in a research and pilot-scale production environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering is preferred, but not required. M.S. in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- 8+ years industry experience in mechanical or manufacturing design and commissioning.