There are times when businesses must make difficult decisions when it comes to their employees, and no matter what the cause for the change is, it is never easy. Whether it is an economic downturn or an acquisition, when companies are faced with these decisions to let employees go, they have choices to make in how they handle the situation. Companies have the opportunity to help their employees, and ultimately themselves, by choosing to provide outplacement services to help transition talent during these difficult times.
Outplacement services give employees a landing spot as they navigate the career transition through job coaching, resume development, interview prep, and more. The goal of outplacement services is to create a positive, impactful transition experience for employees and employers.
Providing transition services shows the employee that even amid a difficult situation, their employer cares enough to help set them up for success. From walking them through the initial shock, and even grief, of leaving their current role, outplacement coaches are there to help the employee through the entire process from the day they find out about the decision to the day they find their next opportunity.
Here are a few services an outplacement team can provide to individuals impacted by a career transition:
- Creating an irresistible resume that potential employers can’t say no to. Often people who are affected by these kinds of transitions haven’t looked for a job in many years, and a coach can help the employee market themselves effectively as they look for new opportunities.
- Interview prep, including mock interviews, to ensure candidates are more than prepared when speaking to potential new employers. From practice questions to real-time feedback, a mock interview allows the candidate to practice their answers, work on their body language, and ultimately build confidence prior to stepping into an interview. Especially in the digital age, a mock digital interview can also help ensure that technical difficulties won’t taint an interview.
- Job board and online resources training, specifically addressing how to leverage newer platforms like LinkedIn and ZoomInfo to optimize both networking opportunities and job searching throughout the process. As the digital age progresses, the way people are connecting and looking for new opportunities is changing, and an outplacement coach can ensure candidates are up to speed on best practices.
- Helping candidates evaluate options and make the best next step. With the job market currently at a 2-1 ratio of open positions to active job seekers, it is a candidate’s market. In this hiring market, outplacement services can help the transitioning employee understand their value and evaluate all opportunities, instead of jumping on the first job offer for fear of the unknown.
- Instilling confidence. When someone is affected by a transition in the workplace, it can shake their confidence. Outplacement coaches are there every step of the way to help build the employee back up and find them the best next step for their career, perhaps even helping them find a new calling or passion in the process as they work through the process together.
These services are incredibly beneficial to the impacted employee(s), but they also help build credibility for the company who is providing the services. Companies who hire outplacement coaches are giving the employee(s) the skills they need to succeed and are demonstrating to those remaining at the company that they care. By instilling confidence in their remaining workforce, they are in turn helping with retention, engagement, and overall buy-in from employees. The biggest takeaway? Showing your people that you care about them beyond just the business.
At FGP we believe that the challenge of downsizing a group or making the decision to transition an employee can be met with a thoughtful, proactive plan of action that will support those impacted and demonstrate a people-first culture. Our experienced team offers a high touch and compassionate approach to help the impacted employee every step of the way. No matter the individual’s level—from a CEO, or long-standing team member, to an individual contributor—we provide the necessary coaching and tools to navigate a desired career path. Want to learn more? Reach out to our team today.