By: Steve Hall, Vice President
As people and organizations return from the holidays and plan for 2023, many are taking stock of the last year and beginning to think about what is to come. Looking back, there is no question that over the last 2 years, many companies benefited from having more business, and as a result, had more hiring needs than I’ve seen in my 30-year career in the industry. Having said that, we have already started to see changes in the market with inflationary pressures creating economic uncertainty for many businesses in the new year, which means we could certainly see a slow down on hiring and effects on current employment status.
At this time, we’ve already witnessed layoffs in several industries affecting many people. And, even in a labor short market, which may seem like a more advantageous time for job seekers, there are daily struggles in a job search. Those existing challenges are compounded in a more difficult hiring market, and many job seekers can start to feel like their efforts aren’t producing any progress. If you have been affected by a change in the market or are looking for a new opportunity in this unique time, you may be asking – is there a better way to search for a job besides scrolling through job boards?
For many years throughout various hiring markets, I’ve had conversations with countless professionals who are frustrated that their efforts to apply to job postings result in a “sorry but we’re not interested” email or even worse, receive no acknowledgement that the company received their application. It can be a lonely journey, but there are resources available to help guide and support job seekers through the process.
Through FGP’s HR consulting services, we offer Career Transition programs for individuals. The programs are designed to support job seekers and provide structured guidance throughout the entire process – from start to finish. Candidates partner with a Talent Consultant who becomes their advocate, providing professional guidance, encouragement, and accountability from a partner who cares.
The talent consultant plays a strategic role in assisting job seekers, ensuring they find a position where they will thrive and experience further career growth. Here’s the steps our consulting team takes during the process:
- First, the talent consultant takes the time to understand both the wants and needs of the job seeker before defining clear objectives and goals for the search process.
- Next, they collaboratively identify industry types, potential companies to target, and roles they are open to exploring. What does this mean? Intentionally applying to specific roles that are a good fit from the beginning, avoiding mass-applying on job boards.
- After outlining the criteria of the search and conducting a thorough evaluation of the candidate’s background, the talent consultant works with the candidate to develop a customized resume that accurately presents capabilities and accomplishments to potential employers.
- Throughout the process, the talent consultant coaches the candidate on developing and utilizing relationships to support their job search, both through online tools and in-person opportunities.
- When it comes time to interview, the candidate is coached through mock interviews and follow up debriefs that provide invaluable confidence and training. Candidates gain the confidence they need to successfully navigate the interview process.
- Once an offer is on the table, the consultant provides offer negotiation training on appropriate techniques to negotiate an agreeable offer where you strike a balance that is mutually beneficial and reasonable.
With the help of FGP’s HR Consulting team, you can find support from start to finish in the job search process. For more than 15 years, our consultants have helped thousands of candidates navigate the job search process and find their next great opportunity. While a program like this may not be feasible for all job seekers, past participants expressed that it was well worth the investment because of the knowledge, experiences, and commitment they received from our team leading them to a fulfilling job search.
If you’d like to connect with our team to learn more about individual career transition programs, please contact Steve Hall.